Sunday, September 16, 2012

A blooming Birthday

There's something about this time of year that makes me feel happy. In the Southern Hemisphere the weather is warming up and there are so many beautiful plants coming to life after their lazy winter siesta.
And, today, has been extra special because it is my birthday.
Let's just say that I am getting closer to 50 than I am to 40 but it is all relative.
These children are theoretically keeping me young, and tired and grumpy and sometimes feeling like I am not appreciated. But what of the alternative? I would hate to think.
I woke to my three children clamouring over my bed, brandishing a birthday card. And what a beautiful, well chosen card  Featuring some of the gorgeous things I love about Richmond and Melbourne. The Vinegar Skipping Girl sign, where Richmond becomes Abbotsford and almost Hawthorn.
The colourful Brighton Beach bathing boxes, the gaping Luna Park entrance and Melbourne's iconic W-class tram.
So, as I say, John is always good for a delightfully thoughtful card, but where was the present? None of this "I want your presence not your presents" thanks very much.
I should not complain because after years, they know they can't win. I always say just let me buy something that I want or need.
But, this year, vulnerable and needy after my cornea transplant I haven't felt like getting out and about. The fact that I can't drive and that last week was a killer week for sport, plays and whatever else completely nobbled me.
But I had said more than once I would like an iPad 3 and maybe some runners.
Daughter 1, Hannah, insisted that I would never use an iPad 3 and it would be a waste of money. Anyway, I kind of sucked it up and I do pretty well subscribe to that theory that I am lucky to have them all and material goods aren't important. But a part of me felt a bit disappointed.
So, I suggested to John that we head to the nearby gigantic hardware store and get ourselves some potting mix, fertiliser and potted colour.
We opted for some basil seedlings. Lucy, 7, loves pesto so I am hoping that come summer we might be able to make some. I also chose some lobelia to trail around the standard cumquat and maybe even that potted Yukka that keeps growing like a Triffid near the front door.
I toyed with tomatoes. Too early without a glasshouse so put them back, I concluded.
We got home and John realised he had unloaded all the mix and fertiliser from the trolley but not the seedlings. I rang the store and they told me they would be awaiting our return. Great.
Then, I opened a letter I know from the familiar writing to be from my lovely flower loving friend, Louise.
Another gorgeous card with five packets of seeds inserted in the middle.
So, here I am with Razzamatazz Chilli seeds (ideal for containers); dwarf sunflowers which the kids will adore and three varieties of tomato - Roma, Gourmet Mix and Money Maker.
Loving the look of the Gourmet Mix with promises of yellow, red and blood red tomatoes.
What a treat.
Space is going to be a problem but I may just sow half of each seed packet of tomatoes. Mmmmmm summer salads of tomato, fresh basil and fetta are making me salivate.
But the hard labour must wait for another today. Today is for trivial things. And, I am hopeful that iPad 3 will be arriving any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment